Alarming Cybersecurity Statistics 2017
Cybercrime is here to stay. Discover alarming cyber security statistics for 2017 and learn key steps to prevent breaches in your organisation
Dozens of online sources claim the next Global War will be fought over the Internet. Cases of fraud occurring in the UK almost doubled when cybercrime was accounted for according to survey conducted by The Office for National Statistics. Cybercrime is here to stay so we compiled the top 11 cybersecurity statistics. Here’s what you you need to know about cybercrime.
Cybersecurity is a major threat to businesses, and the fight against it has become more complex as the landscape seems to change almost daily. To stand still is to fall behind, a phrase that rings true for cybercrime as much as it does for business as a whole. Cyber security is highlighted as a top priority for 68% of senior managers, yet less than 1 in 10 companies have a formal incident management plan. This is one of many alarming cybersecurity statistics, the result of which is having a devastating impact on businesses across the globe. While awareness is key, action is the keyword to prevent your business failing victim to an information security breach.
› Top Cybersecurity Statistics
- Cybersecurity is a high priority item for 68% of senior managers.¹
- Only 29% of companies have written cyber security policies.¹
- Only 1/10 companies have a formal incident management plan.¹
- 65% of large companies witnessed a cyber security breach or attack within the last year.¹
- The average security breach costs a large firm £36,500.¹
- The most common breaches are virus/spyware/malware, accounting for 68% of all breaches. Impersonation accounts for the remaining 32%.¹
- Small businesses fall behind on cyber security training, with only 22% having given security training in the past 12 months.¹
- There were an estimated 5.6 million instances of fraud and computer misuse in the 12 months running up to June 2016.²
- Bank account fraud is the most common form of cybercrime in the UK. 2,356,000 instances were reported in the 12 months up to June 2016.²
- Computer virus is the third most common form of cybercrime, with 1,340,000 instances reported in the 12 months up to June 2016.²
- Hacking is the fourth most common form of cybercrime, with 681,000 instances reported during the above period.²
› The Cost of Cyber Crime
The average cost of a breach occurring in a large firm is £36,500 with the most expensive breaches reportedly costing an estimated between £1.46m to £3.14m to resolve. With costs so high, can you really afford to put cybersecurity on the backburner? The National Cyber Security Centre, opened by The Queen in February 2017, published its 10 Steps to Cyber Security to help businesses in the fight against cybercrime.
› 10 Steps to Improve Cyber Security
- Defend your network from attacks with network security.³
- Implement security policies to raise awareness and educate your users.³
- Prevent malware with policies & defenses.³
- Control removable media with policies and scans. Common items include USB pens and external hard drives.³
- Apply security patches and build a baseline for all your devices as part of a secure configuration strategy.³
- Manage and limit the number of privileged user accounts in your organisation. Monitor & control privileges through activity & audit logs.³
- Establish & test an incident management & disaster recovery plan.³
- Continually monitor all systems and networks in your organisation. Go over logs regularly to spot potential attacks.³
- Develop a mobile/remote/home working policy & make users aware of how to comply. Implement the policy and make sure users comply.³
› Are You a Victim of Cybercrime?
Having successfully prevented & resolved information security breaches for businesses of all sizes, iQuda is well equipped to assist in this area. As an ISO 27001 certified business, we understand what it takes to ensure you never fall victim to cybercrime again. We are able to advise you all areas of information security and we offer a range of bespoke managed security services such as IT security assessments. Alternatively, our managed IT support solutions offer expert support, management and maintenance as part of an overall business IT support solution.
¹ Gov.uk. 2016. Cyber Security Breaches Survey 2016. [ONLINE] Available at: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/521465/Cyber_Security_Breaches_Survey_2016_main_report_FINAL.pdf. [Accessed 21 March 2017].
² Office for National Statistics. 2016. Cyber Security Breaches Survey 2016. [ONLINE] Available at: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/crimeandjustice/datasets/crimeinenglandandwalesexperimentaltables. [Accessed 21 March 2017].
³ National Cyber Security Centre. 2015. 10 Steps to Cyber Security. [ONLINE] Available at: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/guidance/10-steps-executive-summary. [Accessed 21 March 2017].